Deputy Francophone Affairs Commissioner
Position: Deputy Francophone Affairs Commissioner
Hours of work: 15 hours/week
Reporting to: Francophone Affairs Commissioner
The University of Ottawa Students’ Union (UOSU) is the official student government of more than 40,000 undergraduate students at the University of Ottawa, with a mandate to represent the interests of students and provide essential services on campus. The Executive Committee is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the UOSU, comprised of 6 elected Commissioners and a President. Together, elected student leaders and dedicated administrative staff work to improve the academic and social lives of students at the University of Ottawa.
The UOSU is currently seeking a student member of the UOSU to be Deputy Francophone Affairs Commissioner, to provide management and supervisory support for the programs of the UOSU aimed at francophone students, shall advocate on behalf of francophone students, and shall work to promote bilingualism and francophone representation. Additionally, support the Francophone Affairs Commissioner who fulfills other responsibilities as a member of the Executive Committee and as a member of the Board of Directors.
The UOSU Constitution requires that the Deputy Francophone Affairs Commissioner:
- Must be actively bilingual; and
- Must be an undergraduate student at the University of Ottawa.
- Work closely with the Francophone Affairs Commissioner to assist them in the fulfillment of their francophone advocacy priorities. Direct and oversee the programs of the UOSU aimed at francophone students, advocate on behalf of francophone students, shall work to promote bilingualism and francophone representation;
- Attend meetings with municipal, provincial, federal stakeholders, representatives from other student unions, and relevant campus groups;
- Work alongside the Francophone Affairs Committee to ensure that the operations of the UOSU are committed to the principle of bilingualism and shall work to advocate in the best interest of francophone students and bilingualism at the university community;
- Help maintain relationships with the University and provide representation for francophone students to work to ensure full access to high quality education as well as other related language-based concerns at the University of Ottawa;
- Prepare, compile and analyze reports & presentations for the Executive Committee;
- Assist the Executive Committee with other tasks related to the mission of the Union, as directed by the President;
- Perform other administrative support tasks, including updating and sorting files, drafting and proofreading correspondence, and conducting research; and
- Complete other related duties.
- Bilingual competency (FR/EN) is a mandatory criterion.
- Highly motivated and passionate about student democracy.
- Experience working in a student-lead environment and an understanding of UOSU’s mandate on campus.
- Strong organization, time-management, and communication skills.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Adaptable and willing to work flexible hours, including, on occasion, evenings, and weekends.
- Discretion, integrity, accountability, and confidentiality.
- Ability to build and maintain strong interpersonal relationships with colleagues.
- Experience participating in or running a campaign at the University of Ottawa or at the government-level is an asset.
- Experience with statement writing and research.
Preference will be given to candidates from equity-seeking groups.
Prospective applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and list of two (2) references to email@example.com by 11:59 PM on September 26, 2023. Only applicants invited to interview will be contacted.