UOSU Statement on Palestine and Israel
Dear students and members of the University of Ottawa community,
In light of the current situation in Palestine and Israel, the University of Ottawa Student’s Union (UOSU) and the International House extend their deepest and most sincere condolences to all those affected. We are committed to providing support to our students on campus who are personally impacted by the violence in the region. The UOSU would like to express our unwavering support and heartfelt sympathies to our students, faculty, and staff of Palestinian, Israeli and Jewish heritage within our community, as well as the families of all the victims. On our campus we have seen and heard of increased harassment targeting minority students. This is unacceptable and requires universal condemnation. Prejudice has absolutely no place on campus. If you or someone you know witnesses or experiences an act of hate, please report with protection services, and/or the Ottawa police.
The recent attack by Hamas has left communities destroyed and the effects of which are felt around the world. Subsequently, the Israeli government has taken extreme measures such as cutting off Gaza from water, electricity, food supplies and dropping bombs in densely populated areas that have catastrophic impact on the Palestinian community.
It is acknowledged that this violence cannot be seen in isolation to the long-standing Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory, and the human rights violations that have ensued. The UOSU has maintained a position of support for Palestine since 2021 (position link).
Given the significant number of students with a personal connection to these events, we want to emphasize that support is available. If you are grieving, anxious, or simply in need of assistance, the University of Ottawa and the UOSU have dedicated professionals ready to provide help and guidance.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to any of the following resources:
- Peer Help Centre – They provide active listening, peer support phone line and peer support chat.
- Mental Health and Wellness resources are available by phone or online through this website.
- Information about financial support, including for financial crisis, can be accessed here.
- International students requiring support on health insurance and immigration can contact uOInternational.
- Students seeking spiritual support resources may reach out to the Multi-faith chaplaincy services.
- uOttawaPSA – Campus community organization dedicated to supporting students of Palestinian heritage.
- Hillel Ottawa – Organization supporting Jewish life on campus. They can connect students with many resources of support.
- International House (@maison_i_house & email@example.com) – A service dedicated to providing support and helping international students access the proper resources.
In case of an emergency:
- Protection Services (24/7): 613-562-5411 (or ext. 5411 on campus)
- Emergency services: 911
Feel free to reach out to the UOSU (firstname.lastname@example.org), or come to our offices in UCU.